Ever since I decided to put a shelf above the bed in the guest bedroom I’ve been obsessed with creating the perfect shelfie there. The fact that this particular project hasn’t even gotten off the ground yet is immaterial. I can still plan. And inspiration is not in short supply. Thank you Pinterest and Instagram. But what is inspiring me the most is the fact that this is a decorative solution to a practical problem. My favourite conundrum.
Image: (Ad) Marks and Spencer
Why Put a Shelf Above the Bed Anyway?
- A shelfie makes a great focal point in the room. Let’s face it the bed is usually in the most central space, it’s the biggest thing in the room, and it naturally draws the eye as you enter. So it should be decorated as such. You could use a decorative bed or headboard as the wow factor. You could hang art above the bed. You could centre the bed between tables with decorative lamps and accessories. Or you could put a shelf above the bed.
- It’s a great space saver. For those of us without much space it could even take the place of bedside tables. It’s easily reached from the bed (you might want to make sure you hang the shelf just at arms reach) so the perfect place for a night-light, books, drinks and anything else you might need in the small hours.
- It’s also the perfect space to put decorative items that will show off your own interests and personality. Putting everything in one place creates much more impact than spreading them around the room.
Image: (Ad) Dunelm
What to Put on a Bedroom Shelfie?
- Art. Don’t worry about banging nails into the plaster. This is the perfect place to prop small frames against the wall.
- Books. Not only is this a handy place to put your current reading material, but books also look lovely as decorative items also.
- Candles. A much safer place to put candles than the bedside table where they are in close proximity to the bedding. Just don’t forget to blow them out before going to sleep.
- Lamps. Small table lamps can happily sit on a shelf. Or if you are fond of the industrial lamps that are currently trendy, you can hang the flex from a hook under the shelf.
- Plants. Is there anywhere that doesn’t look better with a green plant on it? If, like me, you struggle to keep them alive, faux plants will look just as good too.
- Keepsakes. What better place to put the small things that you hold most dear? A favourite birthday card? Gifts from the children? A family heirloom?
Image: (Ad) George Home
You Might Also Like
HOW TO MAKE A HOUSE SMELL LIKE A HOME
EXOTIC INTERIORS – HOW TO WORK THE MEXICAN LOOK IN THE HOME
COMMON INTERIOR DESIGN MISTAKES AND HOW TO AVOID THEM
The post Let’s Talk About Bedroom Shelfies appeared first on Dear Designer.