- 400g cooked turkey (or chicken), shredded
- 100g watercress or other salad leaves
- 1 large ripe avocado, cubed
- Handful of herbs – I used parsley and mint, roughly chopped
- 1/2 cucumber or any crunchy veg like celery, radishes, fennel
- 1 x 400ml tin of cooked chickpeas (or other beans), drained and rinsed
- 1 handful fresh pomegranate seeds or use dried fruit like raisins or chopped dates
- 1 large handful pistachio nuts, or walnuts, or any seeds and nuts that need using up
- 1 tsp or more, chilli flakes to taste (look out for aleppo chilli from Syria but any other works well)
- 2 tbsp butter / ghee/ coconut oil
- 1 tbs ground cumin or your favourite spice or spice mix eg harissa or smoked paprika
- Clementine tahini dressing
- 2 heaped tablespoons of tahini
- 2 tablespoons of extra virgin olive oil
- Juice and zest of 1 clementine
- 1 tablespoon of apple cider vinegar (or balsamic)
- 1 small clove of garlic, very finely chopped
- Sea salt & pepper
- Whisk the dressing ingredients together in a medium bowl, add a little warm water to get it to a dressing consistency – the warm water helps the thick tahini (especially if it’s cold) and then set aside.
- In a large frying pan, toast the nuts until golden for a minute then set aside.
- In the same pan, toast the cumin and chilli for 30 seconds then add the butter, let melt, then add the turkey and drained chickpeas and coat everything and let fry for about 4 minutes until cooked through and edges are going golden. Season to taste.
- Meanwhile, arrange a serving platter with the watercress, fresh herbs, cucumber and avocado then pile on the turkey & chickpeas, scatter with the nuts and pomegranates and drizzle over half of the dressing to serve – let everyone add more themselves.
‘Eat Happy: 30-minute Feelgood Food’ by Melissa Hemsley; £20 at melissahemsley.com/books.