i was tempted to call this post valentine’s waffles but really these are waffles for anytime of year! i know we’ve posted several waffle recipes but this one is my current favorite, easy to throw together and they are light and crispy. the whole batch makes about seven waffles (depending on the size of your iron) and the batter keeps well in the refrigerator for about 4 days so no need to use it all at once. whipping the egg whites is an important step, it takes a couple extra minutes but makes them so light and airy! – joanie p.s. this is the waffle iron i use, under $30 and works like a charm!
recipe adapted from allrecipes.com
what you’ll need/
• 2 eggs – separate the egg white and yolk
• 2 cups all-purpose flour
• 1 3/4 cups milk
• 1/2 cup coconut oil
• 1 tablespoon white sugar
• 4 teaspoons baking powder
• 1/4 teaspoon salt
• 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
• start by putting your egg whites into a medium size mixing bowl and whip on medium/high speed with a hand mixer until soft peaks form, add the sugar, vanilla, salt, baking powder and egg yolks continuing to mix on medium. add the coconut oil and half of the flour mixing on low and mix, add half of the milk continuing to mix and then the other half of the flour. start folding by hand and mix only until everything is incorporated.
• heat your waffle iron on medium/high. once heated, spray with coconut oil and put batter in, cook until browned, serve immediately! enjoy!
photos by: Ivan solis
more delicious recipes here!