one of the most important elements in a kitchen is your knives. they are probably the most used item and there are few things more frustrating with cooking than trying to cut things with a dull knife. both joanie and i use Wüsthof Crafter knives in our home, justin introduced me to them when we started cooking together and joanie registered for them for her wedding. so when williams sonoma asked if we wanted to team up with them and offer a Wüsthof Crafter knife giveaway we were a 1000% yes! they just redesigned the knives and they now have a smoked oak handle with brass rivets which are gorgeous. i’m so excited to be able to give this set away. they are truly knives that with proper care will last a lifetime (psss… it’s more than $1,000+ worth of knives!)
we had lunch at the beverly hills hotel last week and tried their chopped cobb salad which was delicious. we decided to re-make it because what better way to break in new beautifully shape knives than with tons of chopping! this recipe is time intensive in the sense that we wanted everything to be in perfect cubes but it turned out perfectly and we’d highly recommend giving it a go.
Beverly Hills Hotel Chopped Cobb Salad
(taken from Parade.com)
serves: 2-3 as an entree or 3-4 as a side
what you’ll need:
• 1/2 cup extra-virgin olive oil
• 3 Tbsp balsamic vinegar
• 1 Tbsp Dijon mustard
• 1 garlic glove
• 12 oz iceberg lettuce, finely chopped
• 12 oz hearts of romaine, finely chopped
• 2 oz watercress, finely chopped
• 1/2 lb red beets, roasted and finely diced
• 1/2 lb aged cheddar cheese, finely diced
• 1/2 lb applewood-smoked bacon, cooked and finely chopped
• 3 hard boiled eggs, peeled and finely chopped
• 1/2 lb cooked chicken breasts, diced
• 1 large tomato, peeled and diced
• 1 avocado, peeled and sliced
• we started by prepping all the ingredients that need to be cooked, you can prep each thing how you prefer but this is what we did: with the eggs, put them in a pan with water over medium high heat, when it starts to boil, remove from the heat and let them sit covered for 10 minutes, put in ice waterfor the beets, wash and pat dry, place on tin foil with a little oil and salt and bake at 450 degrees for 45minutes- 1 hour. once cool, peel the skin off with your hands and set aside. we seasoned the chicken with olive oil, salt and pepper and cooked it at 375 for about 20 minutes. and the bacon we cooked until it was reallllly crispy so that it would add a nice crunch to the salad.
then mix your dressing, add the oil, balsamic, mustard, and garlic (we used this garlic press) together in a bowl and whisk until smooth, season with about 1 teaspoon salt and some pepper. once you have everything prepped, it’s time to start chopping! chop the beets, cheese, chicken, and tomatoes into as cubes as much as possible. for the lettuce and egg, just chop really finely.
we also used these measuring spoons and cups, copper mixing bowls and this chopping block!
and now for the Wüsthof Crafter giveaway! THIS GIVEAWAY IS NOW CLOSED! THANK YOU FOR ALL THE GREAT ENTRIES, WINNER WILL BE ANNOUNCED SOON!
here is what you’ll win! the value of the this giveaway is over $1,000!
• 7 piece block set that includes:
• 8″ chef knife
• 9″double serrated bread knife
• 3 1/2″ pairing knife
• 5″ serrated utility knife
• honing steel
• Wood block with brass rivets
• 6″ chef knife
• 7″ hollow edge santoku knife
• 6″ utility knife
• 10″ super slicer knife
• Set of 4 steak knives
and here’s how to win…
1) visit Williams Sonoma and take a look around!
2) leave a comment below with your favorite summer meal/recipe!
one winner will receive all of the knives listed above, a value of $1,000+. one winner will be chosen at random on august 8, 2018. one entry per person, double entries will disqualify you from winning. giveaway subject to designlovefest’s rules and regulations. giveaway open to readers in North America only. we reserve the right to change, alter or cancel at anytime.
this post was sponsored by williams sonoma